Thursday, July 23, 2009

quick accessibility update

We wrote a letter to the principal and head of special ed at Hannah and Isabelle's school, outlining all of our concerns about accessibility in the building and on the playground. I got a call yesterday from the assistant principal about setting up a meeting with him, the principal and the director of special ed. He seemed very interested in and eager to work with us so I'm crossing fingers that we'll be able to find some workable solutions to these issues that will benefit not just Hannah, but other kids in the future as well as parents, grandparents, other teachers, etc. that might need things to be more accessible.

So I guess it pays to be a squeaky wheel!

I'll post more as we work through this...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I am so happy that their initial response was so positive! I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

BusyLizzyMom said...

I hate being the sqeaky wheel but it seems to be the only way things get done.
FYI the sandals that fit Elizbeth's AFO's are stride rite, I just used hair elastics to extend the straps. They are closed toe and allow lots air to circulate. Keep working on the prints for AFO's people love them and it is a nice conversation starter.