Saturday, January 12, 2008

Secret Lives of Twins, Take II



The twin phenom just keeps getting more and more fun to watch as the girls get older, more expressive, and more social. Of course it's not always peace and love. Often it's "Hannah don't look at me!" or "Isabelle don't sing that song!" or the ever-constant "MY TURN!" But a lot of the time it's also really cute, and funny, and heartbreakingly touching.

This pic was taken tonight at dinner. For those of you who are shy about private matters such as bathroom habits, you might want to skim this story. Anyway, for whatever reason, when Isabelle is pooping she sometimes likes to hold our hands. She tends toward the constipated end of the spectrum so I think she likes the comfort while she struggles! So tonight at dinner, Isabelle noticed that Hannah was doing her business (which happens most often when she's in the high chair eating). So she turns to her and says, "Are you pooping over there, Hannah? I'll hold your hand."

The theme of Isabelle wanting to take care of and help Hannah comes up a lot between the two of them. I don't know if it's just who she is or if it's at all related to her sense that Hannah might need a little extra help in some areas of her life. Or most likely, she is just mirroring what she sees B and I doing so often. Whatever it is, it's a beautiful thing and when it happens, I often have to turn away so they don't see me crying. Like the other day, when I was in the kitchen and Hannah and Isabelle were in the playroom and Hannah fell from a sitting position onto her back. Hannah started saying, "Get up, get up," and I told her I'd be right there. Isabelle promptly walked over and said, "I'll help you, Hannah. Sit up straight, Hannah. Here you go." And she grabbed hold of her arm and tried to help Hannah right herself.

As hard as it is sometimes to raise twins, especially when one twin has special needs, these are the times when I feel so grateful that Hannah has Isabelle in her life. And that Isabelle has Hannah.

1 comment:

The Secret Ingredient said...

It's a beautiful thing! It sounds like they are a perfect pair! I always tell my girls that the most important thing in the world to me is that they love each other. Once, my oldest sheepishly said to me "mommy, I love Cam better than anyone, even you." I think she probably was expecting me to be mad, so was totally surprised when I told her that it was okay and it made me happy. You gotta love it.