Monday, January 14, 2008

Odds and Ends

Hannah's evaluation with the physiatrist is set for February 5th. I'm both excited and anxious, as I always am when we take her to appointments like these. I'm excited to see what he has to say about her potential for independent walking and suggestions for different equipment that might be better adapted to her size and her needs (i.e., the walker we currently have is one that was borrowed from a kid who outgrew it and it is currently lacking the proper feet so that it doesn't roll backwards if Hannah's feet slip out from under her). I'm hopeful that he will have tips, tricks and suggestions that will help her progress toward that independence more quickly.

But I'm also anxious. First off, I would rather be anywhere than be taking my kid to a rehab clinic because I would rather that she not need to be "rehabed" from anything. I also know that while I have come to some acceptance with the fact of her delays, it's still a shock when someone in a white coat reminds me of it. And what if the hopes that I have for this visit don't come to pass? What if there is not much more we can offer Hannah except the patience to let her get where she's going on her own time frame? Lastly, horror of all horrors, what if I cry? I have yet to make it through any kind of doctor's appointment, evaluation, or meeting with Hannah's service providers without welling up at some point during the visit, but I hate when it happens and I always dread the moment when I know it's coming and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

T-minus 22 days until the appointment. Deep breaths, deep breaths...

2 comments:

mom said...

I read that word is "psychiatrist" the first tiume through and thought - holy cow -- poor Hannah - isn't that a little young!? :-)

Loved the life of twins post (but not nearly as much as I loved the photo)...

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that I think its ok if you cry!