Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cure for the blues

When Hannah was really small and we did not yet have a CP diagnosis, but knew about the brain injury and saw her motor delays getting more and more significant, I would often lie in bed at night and cry, wondering what was in store for her and for us, feeling so sad and angry and filled with grief.  Then the next day would come and I would be too busy living life with Hannah (and Isabelle) to feel sad. 

This is what I always come back to, when I get down and out about raising a child with a disability.  The best way to feel better, when I get sad about Hannah's CP, is to spend time with Hannah.  Because she is not a sad child.  She is full of life, and busy living life.  She is motivated, happy, secure, fun, and kooky.  She is having a grand old time and if you're right there with her in that place, there isn't a whole lot of room to feel sad.

3 comments:

Cary said...

I absolutely agree with your post, because I feel the exact same way.

I remember when we first got Ben's CP diagnosis, I would cry and cry when he was napping or asleep at night...but when he was up and so happy, I couldn't help but be happy too.

Unknown said...

I love this post! I think its a good lesson for all Moms and Dads!

And Hannah is so great at embracing the moment and letting loose with that infectious belly laugh!

Billie said...

yes. YES! I feel the same way:-)