Monday, March 15, 2010

sometimes all you can do is breathe

I took a Hatha yoga class with a good friend last weekend. I haven't done yoga in a looong time. I'm still sore! I realized how out of wack my body is from my pregnancy with Sam. I was proud of myself for not trying to push through all the poses and be comfortable with taking the easiest option for many of them. And it was good to try to relax although it was hard for me to turn my brain off (probably shouldn't have had that second cup of coffee right before class!)

One thing the instructor said that stuck with me. She was reminding us to stay present, focus on our own experience, and breathe. She extrapolated from yoga out to the rest of our lives and the various things that might cause us anxiety and stress. She talked about how in the midst of those moments, sometimes the most important, and only, thing we can do for ourselves is breathe.

This really resonated with me. I've had those times when I am so overwhelmed by one thing or another and I am barely breathing. It's a shallow, chesty breathe that just barely sustains me but does not energize me in any way, and might even make me more anxious or stressed. This instructor reminded me of the power of a deep breath, even when it's the only thing you can do.

So here I go...gulp...BREATHE.

No comments: