Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Botax and hips

Today Hannah had her second round of botax injections, just about 4 months from the first one we did in February. She had 6 injections again in pretty much the same places, with a little more focus on her left calf as she has been doing a lot of intoeing with that left foot. B took her this time which was a mixed blessing. On the one hand, I really hated to send her off without being there with her. On the other hand, it was so hard last time to watch them give her the shots and see her have to deal with that pain so I was glad to be removed from that. B's report was that she did great, just like last time: cried hard while she was being injected, but then was totally fine. Thankfully the whole procedure takes less than 5 minutes.

The physiatrist told B that he reviewed the hip xrays Hannah had done a few weeks ago and said that her left hip is starting to slide out of the socket. This is probably a result of her tight hamstrings and he seemed to indicate that while it wasn't extreme, he wanted to keep an eye on it and hopefully could manage it with more focused botax in that area. I'm bummed because I feel like she's doing so phenomenally in her developmental gains and yet despite that, there are these structural issues that are still unavoidable. Kind of like her left foot dragging. These things don't seem to hold her back from making amazing progress but they are there and need to be dealt with.

Lately I have not been as vigilant about this stuff because she is doing so well, and because I'm starting to become more inwardly focused as I get ready for the baby. Then I feel guilty that I'm slacking off on Hannah's treatment and need to be more on top of what we're doing for her. Sometimes I just want to not worry about it and let her be a kid. And then I hear news like this today and think, "we weren't stretching enough, getting her out of the W-sit more often, working those hamstrings enough..."

Argh.

No comments: