Friday, August 22, 2008

Roid Rage

If you've ever had to give your kids prednisone (steroids) for croup/wheezing/asthma, then you know what I'm talking about. It's true...even in small doses this stuff is EVIL. Poor Hannah started wheezing on Sunday night, followed Monday morning by a bad cold and cough. We thought we had the wheezing under control with albuterol and flovent, the two inhalers we have around the house for just these occasions. But on Wednesday even after a breathing treatment she was still really tight in her chest and wheezing. Off to the pediatrician we went and he prescribed prednisone.

It's been awhile (probably about a year) since we've had to give this to them so I forgot or blocked out what the side effects are like. Well I'm here to tell you that they suck. First off, Hannah has had a really hard time settling down for naps and bedtime. It takes 4-5 tries with lots of screaming and crying and requests for milk, songs and stories before she finally crashes. She's also woken up from her naps thrashing around, hitting and scratching and crying like she is pissed like nobody's business. I figured out yesterday that if I danced around the room with her really fast while shushing her and patting her back, she would settle down after a few minutes. It was like going back to the colic days. Other fun side effects include Hannah's immediate frustration and anger when she doesn't get what she wants, her constant whining and crying, and her urge to quickly lash out and scratch, pull hair or hit anyone in her path when she's upset.

It's awful.

Sunday is the last day we have to give this to her and I CANNOT WAIT. I want my girl back.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Ugh....that sounds awful! I hope Sunday comes quickly for all of you!

Billie said...

I know I am a little late on this one... But GOSH, I was really glad to read it. Not for your sake, but for mine. Holland had her last dose of the roids today. I want my child back. Today I told John, "I hope it's the steroids, because I'm afraid I might just not like her anymore." I feel reassured:)