Friday, May 30, 2008

This is what I learned this week

Sometimes things can go smoothly. I had two phone calls yesterday with people involved in Hannah's care in some way or another; both of them were smooth, easy and got me what I needed. One call resulted in something I wasn't seeking but was happy to receive (mileage reimbursement from the state for the out-of-state second opinion we're seeking: horrah!) The other call was answered on the first ring by a very pleasant, efficient woman who seemed like she enjoyed her job and was happy to help me. Amazing!

I have to think that these calls went so well partly because we live where we do. I would bet that if you're calling a NYC government agency you may not have such an easy time of it. Press 1 to get a directory, press 2 to leave a message, press 3 to wait on hold for an indefinite amount of time, press 4 to lose your mind.

Not that I haven't ever had these conversations here in the north country. I have. But my experience yesterday showed me that it doesn't always have to be that way. Which is such a great thing. Because leaping through hoops to get information I need is not on the top of my list of fun things to do. I'd much rather be out in the sun with the girls, digging in dirt and planting flowers and letting them overwater the poor things with their watering cans. Which is what we did.

No comments: