Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cut me some slack

Today after I picked up the girls from school, I was driving out of the parking lot when I heard a whistle and saw two people running toward me, trying to get me to stop. I immediately realized that I had forgotten to put Hannah's walker in the trunk of my car before driving away.

This is the second time it's happened in a month.

I also ran over her walker a few weeks ago because I did the same thing at home, but that time I put the car in reverse and just drove right into it.

I think I must be losing my mind. Or just acting like the frazzled mom of a special needs kid who has 2 other kids and a part-time job and is trying to keep her head above water.

Either way, when I put the car in reverse to retrieve the neglected walker today, I was totally embarassed and said sheepishly to the person who had flagged me down, "I can't believe I did this AGAIN." Her reply, "First of all, she NEEDS her walker and second of all, someone could come around the corner and pull right into that spot and run it over." (Little did she know it has already survived one such encounter). It was hard to tell if she was truly giving me a hard time or kidding around and lately, I take everything personally (being super-sensitive seems to be a major by product of sleep deprivation, at least for me). I kind of think it was the former, because as I drove away, I felt like an even bigger heel than I already did.

I know it's completely ridiculous that I can't learn my lesson about putting the walker in the car. I also think it's a symptom of what's going on in my world right now. I've been trying hard to be gentle with myself and not beat myself up over this and my many other shortcomings. It would be nice if others could cut me some slack as well.

2 comments:

Billie said...

Geez. I have done the exact same thing quite a few times. In fact, once or twice I didn't even remember leaving it until someone called! Luckily once it was at school, and once at a dr. appt, so they knew exactly whose it was! I would have been really annoyed by that woman's comment too. Knowing me, I would have been polite, than fumed the whole way home thinking of catty, smart remarks that I could have made in retort! So, feel free to cut yourself some slack. We have a lot more to try to remember than most people.

BusyLizzyMom said...

Can I give you an online hug instead. I can't even imagine how much you have going on with your 3 little ones? I have days here where I think my brain may explode and I only have 1 child.
Sounds like her walker is pretty sturdy after all it has been through.