Friday, April 23, 2010

A little bit "off"


As time goes on, I see patterns of behavior in Hannah that indicate when "something's up" with her. I don't always know what it is, which frustrates me, but I can tell when she's off.

So in the past few days, here are the things I'm noticing that are a little different for her:

-She's gritting her teeth together a lot
-She's eating A TON
-When she naps, she wakes up hysterical as if from a bad dream, and then I go up and settle her and she falls back asleep again (normally she just sleeps through until she's ready to get up, and wakes up either whining a little or calling to me to come get her)
-She's more floppy
-She's more whiny
-She's more hesitant to stretch her limits (i.e. she keeps saying she's scared to reach out for the grab bar and step up onto the stool in the bathroom, something she did easily and fearlessly up until about a week ago)

I'm thinking it might be another growth spurt, and maybe those crying spells when she sleeps are muscle spasms. Not sure though. She is also going through the longest stretch ever between botox treatments, because we have a consult about selective dorsal rhizotomy on Monday and they wanted to see her when it was totally out of her system.

It's hard to see her go through this, and I wish I could do more to help her. But what I CAN do is go easy on her a bit, let her be a little more lazy if she wants to be, as she is not afraid to push herself when she's feeling good so if she needs a break, she deserves it.

1 comment:

BusyLizzyMom said...

Elizabeth is very off with a growth spurt; her sleep is minimal as she wakes up with leg pains or constant twitching, her balance is beyond off and she who is a normally low tone child gets tight and has difficulty sitting on the floor. I really hate growth because it throws her completely off and makes her recent acheivements seem like they are obstacles again.