Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Mean kids

I have often said that I worry about what Hannah might face when she gets older, because I know kids can be mean. But up until today, I have not witnessed this meanness and have instead been pleasantly surprised by most interactions we've had with other kids. I have come across curious kids, interested kids, kind kids, kids who are oblivious to her difference, kids who are drawn to her because of it...but I had not yet witnessed what I would classify as a mean-spirited kid.

The girls' preschool is an early education/intervention program which is housed in a classroom in the elementary school. So we often encounter older kids in the hallway or on the school grounds. Depending on the time of day, sometimes we can get caught in the middle of a major traffic jam of kids walking in the halls. Today as we were leaving their class, another class of older kids (probably around 8-10 years old) was in the hall. There was the usual gawking at Hannah that happens, especially because when there are that many other people around, Hannah gets really distracted and tends to stop in her tracks and stare at them like a deer in the headlights. But then one boy leaned into his friend and said, "Hey, look at THAT," as he kicked at her walker wheels with his foot.

I looked right at him and said, "This is Hannah." And he said, "What's THAT THING for?" in a loud and not-so-nice voice. And I said, "It's her walker, and it helps her to get around." And he said, "Why does she need THAT?" and at that point, the snake of kids he was a part of continued on its way and he was past us and walking down the stairs so I didn't answer. I also didn't answer because I thought I would not be able to do so calmly anymore, as his nasty tone and inquisition was starting to get on my nerves.

In so many other ways and a different tone of voice, this kid's questions and comments would not be so unnerving. But it was the WAY he said it that really got under my skin. I had the urge to smack him upside his head. I also wanted to know where his teacher was, and why she wasn't stepping in to use it as an opportunity to teach some manners and respect for differences.

This little interaction soured my whole day. It made me frustrated with Hannah as we were leaving the school and she was refusing to walk because she didn't want to go home. It made me frustrated with her again tonight when she was difficult to stretch. And it made me frustrated with myself because life is so crazy busy right now and I feel like we have so little time to do for her what we need to help her progress.

So there it was: our first mean kid.

I'm sure it won't be the last.

2 comments:

Marlene Siringo said...

What's his name, where does he live and what does he look like? I'd like to give Mean Kid # 1 a smack upside his head and a homework assignment of spending just 1 day himself with a walker and little mobility.......Yes, where was his teacher who could have used this moment to teach such an important question.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I, too, dread the day when Ashlyn and I encounter our first mean kid. I felt my claws sharpen when a kid at her preschool went "riding" around on her walker one day as I was picking her up, like it was a toy. I'm sorry that happened to you and Hannah. Maybe it will give all of us a chance to think of an appropriate response to be ready for the next mean kid - unfortunately I'm sure he won't be the only one.

Denise
mom to Ashlyn, former 24 wkr