Thursday, April 30, 2009

22 week s and counting

Hannah and Isabelle were born at 27 weeks, just 5 weeks from where I am now in this pregnancy. As the time gets closer, I find myself getting more anxious about every little cramp and twinge, wondering if it's going to happen again.

My OB assures me that carrying a singleton is an entirely different kettle of fish than being pregnant with twins, and she reminds me that this pregnancy has been, thus far, totally complication-free unlike my pregnancy with the girls (I had a subchorionic hematoma that led to a bad bleed at 8 weeks and continued bleeding and spotting through around 16 weeks or so). She says that while there are no guarantees, she feels pretty confident that I will go to full or near term.

It's hard for me to imagine what that would be like. To wake up one day and say, "I think this is it: I'm going into labor!" and have it be a moment of excitement instead of dread. To have a birth that is joyous and welcome as opposed to traumatic and fraught with fear. To go home a few days later with a warm bundle of baby in my arms instead of an empty and aching heart.

I'm crossing my fingers and toes that things will just keep chugging along and suddenly I'll be 40 weeks and more than ready to meet this new little one. In the meantime, keep cooking little bean! It's not time to come out just yet.

No comments: