Sunday, November 16, 2008

Going Home


Three years ago today, our girls were discharged from the hospital after 54 days in the NICU. They were around 35 weeks when they came home, each weighing just under 5 lbs. It was a really warm day for November but we had them bundled to the hilt and they probably sweat bullets the whole drive home! There was no room for me in the backseat with them so I basically just rode backwards in my seat the whole time, obsessively checking them to make sure they were okay.

We got home, I got settled into the glider rocker in their bedroom and Brendan put them each in my arms. Finally we were all home.

Some days it feels like this was a million years ago. We've come so far since then. And yet other days, I can be back there in an instant in my mind's eye.

Welcome home my sweets. What a journey it has been. We love you so.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I know what you mean....our coming home day is burned in my mind. I will never forget a second of it. It seems like yesterday and a million years ago all at once.

Happy Anniversary, beautiful girls!

Anonymous said...

Your anniversay story gave me a nice warm feeling on a cool evening! Thanks!

How nice to remember holding babes! Barbara

Anonymous said...

Wow, you guys have all traveled so far since that day! I hope you take a moment to look back on all the wonderful progress each of you has made. :)

Jacolyn said...

That is so wonderful they got to come home together. All 3 of mine came home on a different day. It was crazy.

You have 3 beautiful daughters. You should be so proud!