Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Out of town...

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. We've been down at my parents' house since Sunday and will be here for two weeks (B headed back today to work and will come back down again to pick us up on the 17th). I'll have to post soon with some pictures we took at the March of Dimes walk-which was unfortunately pretty rainy and cold-and also from the playground we went to today which is handicapped accessible and very cool.

Overall, all is well. The girls love all the attention they're getting from Grammie and Papa and super busy exploring all kinds of new and fun toys. Tomorrow we're going to take them to the beach. Even if it's a bit chilly, I just want them to have a chance to see the ocean and play in the sand for awhile. They have only been once before when they were 6 months old, so this will be a whole new experience for them. On Thursday my sister will be coming for a few days, and so will my sister-in-law with my nephew, L. He's a year younger than the girls so I'm sure they'll all have fun playing together.

The big news is that we're starting potty training. I figured it would be a lot easier to do with the extra help of my parents and the fact that they live in a warmer climate so we could have the girls outside with little to no clothes on. So far it's going really well: on the first day both girls pooped and/or peed in the potty at least once. Isabelle really seems to be catching on pretty quickly to the idea although I think getting her to stop playing in time to make it to the potty to pee might be our biggest hurdle. Hannah is a little more tentative and fearful about the whole thing. After her first poop she got kind of freaked out and isn't super eager to try when you ask her if she wants to go.

I'm being pretty low-key about it all. I don't want to stress them or myself out about it and know that eventually they'll both be potty trained. Isabelle seems really ready and excited to do it so I think it was time to initiate it for her and if Hannah gets there in the process, great. But if not it's not really a big deal. I do have to say that it's hard to get super motivated about it because in some ways diapers are just so much easier to deal with. The constant "do you have to go to the bathroom?" reminds me of the early days when we were feeding them around the clock. It's a lot more maintenance than I've had to do in awhile. But it will be nice to be done with diapers some time soon, too.

It's definitely really crazy to see them hanging out in their big girl underwear. How did this happen so fast?! Another good thing about being down at my parents' house is that the extra help frees me up to be able to just hang out and play with them more which I don't do as much as I would like to when we're at home. I want to enjoy the teeny underwear-wearing muchkins as much as I can!

No comments: