Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Good day, sunshine

I think spring is finally here. Shh...don't tell anyone or it might snow again. But it's been in the 50s and sunny for 4 consecutive days and all of the snow is gone from our yard. We've been spending a ton of time in our yard and it's like a whole new world has opened up for the girls. They are so much happier when they're outside in the fresh air (and so am I!)

Last spring, when my back was breaking from carrying and walking Hannah all around the yard, I told myself "by this time next year, she will be walking for sure." I've since learned that putting timelines on Hannah's development is a really bad idea. She will get there on her own time and in her own terms. Even though she isn't walking independently, she is starting to be able to get around by herself with her walker and this is a huge and amazing improvement from the past. It makes being outside so much more enjoyable for all of us.

She's still trying to figure out how to work the swivel wheels: I'll have to post the video I took of her going around in circles. It was pretty funny; she was laughing hysterically and not at all frustrated and it actually made her that much more interested in her new walker even though she couldn't get quite where she wanted to go.

Between the new walker and the AFOs and her increasing desire for independence, I think Ms. Hannah is going to have a really great spring. And so will we all.

No comments: